Tying the knot is an exciting milestone, and doing it abroad can make this special occasion even more memorable.

But there’s a catch – UK citizens getting married abroad must understand the legal requirements to make sure their marriage is recognised in their homeland.

Do I Need to Register My Marriage in the UK If I Get Married Abroad?

A common question we hear is “Do I need to register my marriage in the UK if I get married abroad?”

The answer is no. You do not need to register your marriage in the UK if the wedding is legally recognised in the country where it took place. However, it’s in your best interests to understand how to register your marriage in the UK when getting married abroad, as it may help streamline certain processes when you return home.

How to Register Marriage in the UK When Married Abroad

While there’s no specific registration process for those married abroad, there are circumstances where you might need to use your foreign marriage certificate in the UK. If the certificate is not in English, you will need to have it professionally translated and certified.

If your marriage certificate is issued by a place of worship, you’ll need this document to prove your marriage’s legality in the UK. This is true regardless of whether the ceremony takes place in a church, mosque, synagogue, or other religious institution.

Certificate of No Impediment for UK Residents: Your Key to Marrying Abroad

Before getting married abroad, you’ll need to have a CNI certificate and to get it certified. This document declares that there’s no legal obstacle to your marriage and is typically required by the country where you plan to marry.

What Documents Do I Need to Get Married in the UK and Abroad?

As your special day draws nearer, you might wonder, “What documents do I need to get married in the UK?” Even though your wedding will take place outside the UK, you’ll need the same documents you would for a wedding at home.

These include full birth certificates, passports, proof of address, a decree absolute if you’re divorced, and a death certificate of your former spouse if you’re widowed. Also, if your documents are not in English, you’ll need a certified translation.

It’s also worth noting that if you have decided to change your name ahead of the wedding and have done so through a deed poll, you will need to provide a Change of Name Deed Poll document. This is crucial for marrying abroad, as it legally validates your new name on all official documents.

The Role of a Notary Public in Getting Married Abroad

If you’d rather focus on planning your special day rather than sorting out the paperwork, there’s a simple solution – get in touch with a notary public, like us here at notary.co.uk.

We offer a comprehensive, end-to-end service to ensure that your overseas wedding goes smoothly. Not only can we certify and legalise your documents to make sure they’re acceptable for use overseas, but we can also liaise directly with relevant authorities to save you time and stress.

At notary.co.uk, we understand how important your wedding day is and our expert team is dedicated to removing any administrative headaches. We can also arrange for the necessary Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and consular legalisation (apostilles), if required by the country you’re getting married in.

Our priority is to make your special day go as seamlessly as possible, so you can focus on what truly matters – celebrating your love in your dream destination. Trust us with the logistics, and you’ll have peace of mind knowing that every legal detail has been meticulously taken care of.

Is It Legal in the UK If You Get Married Abroad?

Let’s conclude by clearing up the confusion: the answer is yes, provided you’ve complied with the legal requirements of the country in which the marriage took place. We’re more than willing and ready to help ensure you meet all these conditions, making your foreign wedding worry-free and completely legal.

If you’re planning to get married outside the UK, get in touch with us by calling 020 7630 1777 or by emailing info@notary.co.uk to apply for a CNI.