Documents Required Before Studying Overseas
Studying abroad is a privilege you should grab with both hands if the opportunity ever presents itself. This article will give you a head start by helping you prepare all the necessary documentation for studying abroad.
What Are the Benefits of Studying Abroad?
We would suggest speaking with someone who has personal experience with studying overseas, especially someone who furthered their education in the country you wish to study in.
The benefits of studying abroad are virtually endless. The most obvious is personal growth as living abroad will require a high level of independence. Most students go in search of a high-quality education along with first-hand cultural immersion.
Studying abroad can also lead to wider career opportunities as your network will grow naturally. This network growth is underpinned by the fact that students overseas will be exposed to new skills like adaptability, language proficiency and cultural communication. These skills are essential to the global job market and are sure to open many doors to students in the future.
What Do You Need to Do to Study Abroad?
There are several steps you should take to pursue studying abroad. Here are a few to get you started:
- Research your options: Decide on the country and institution you would like to study at. Then find out about the specific requirements and application process for international students.
- Gather the necessary documents: This is listed in the bulleted list in the next section.
- Apply for a Visa: If you need a visa to study abroad, you will need to apply for one through the embassy or consulate of the country you are planning to study in. You will typically need to provide documents such as your passport, proof of acceptance to a university or educational institution, and proof of financial support in order to secure your Visa.
- Arrange for housing and transportation: Find housing options and plan your accommodation. You will also need to consider what transportation you will need to use to get to and from your place of study.
- Plan your finances: Make sure you have enough money to cover your expenses while you are studying abroad. This should include tuition, housing, and living expenses. It will be easier to secure and make use of the finances from a bank account in the country you intend on staying in.
- Prepare for the cultural transition: Research the culture and customs of the country you will be studying in. Taking language classes or cultural sensitivity training would be a good idea to help you adjust to your new environment.
What Documents Are Required to Study Abroad Issued?
You will need a valid passport to study abroad as a British citizen. You may also need a Visa, depending on the country you are planning to study in. Other documents you may need include:
- Proof of acceptance to a university or educational institution, usually in the form of a letter of enrolment
- Proof of financial support, such as bank statements or a letter of sponsorship
- A letter of recommendation from your school or employer
- Health insurance documents
- Copies of your GCSE, A-Level or any other educational certificates obtained
It would be wise to gather these documents well in advance so that you have a seamless trip. The sooner you start the better, as the process of obtaining all the required documents can take some time.
If the mother tongue of the country you will be studying in is not English, you will need to have all your documents translated into the native language for use by officials at your destination.
You should also check with the embassy or consulate of the country you are planning to study in to find out if there are any specific requirements or documents that you need to provide. They will also let you know which documents need to be notarised and/or apostilled.
Having Your Documents to Study Abroad Notarised and Apostilled
Once you have been in contact with the embassy or consulate of the country you wish to study in, they will let you know which documents need which level of certification. We would suggest having all of the necessary documents to ensure there are no mishaps once you reach your destination.
Notary.co.uk provides a same-day service for notarising documents if time is of the essence. Remember to bring along the original documents as well as copies to be notarised so that you have multiple valid documents to streamline your adventure abroad.