Thinking about working overseas? It can be a thrilling adventure pursued for a number of reasons. Exploring new cultures, gaining valuable work experience, and expanding your personal and professional networks are just some of the reasons people decide to look for a job abroad.

But let’s face it – there’s a lot to think about before you take the plunge. From dealing with unfamiliar legal systems to navigating new cultures and customs, there are plenty of challenges to consider. Here’s everything you need to know before working overseas:

Processes for Working Overseas

Before you jet off to your dream job abroad, it’s essential to do your research and understand the legal and regulatory requirements you’ll need to meet. Depending on the country you’re headed to, you may need to get a work visa, residency permit, or other legal documents. You may also need to register with local authorities, get health insurance, and pay taxes in both your home country and your new workplace.

Documents Needed for Working Overseas

Before you apply for foreign work, you’ll need to provide several legal and personal documents, which may include:


When you apply for work overseas, your potential employer will likely require proof of your identity and citizenship. A passport may be required to obtain a visa or work permit in your destination country, as it verifies your identity and citizenship.

Birth Certificate

A birth certificate serves as a key piece of identification and can play an important role in the application process for working overseas. It is often used to verify your age, which may be relevant if there are age restrictions for certain job positions or industries.

Medical Certificate

A medical certificate ensures that you are fit to work and do not pose a risk to yourself or others. Some countries may also require a medical certificate to ensure that you are not carrying any communicable diseases that could pose a risk to public health.

Marriage Certificate

In some cases, a marriage certificate may be required when applying for work overseas, especially if you plan to bring your spouse with you. The marriage certificate serves as proof of your legal marriage and can be used to support your application for a spousal visa or residency permit in the destination country.

Work Visa or Permit

Many countries require individuals to obtain a work visa or permit before they can work in that country. The requirements for obtaining a work visa or permit can vary, but generally require a job offer from a company or organization in the country of employment.

Proof of Employment

When applying for work overseas, proof of employment may be required by the destination country’s immigration authorities as part of the visa or work permit application process. This document verifies that you have a job offer or are employed by a company in the destination country.

Police Certificate

Many countries require a police certificate as part of the visa or work permit application process to ensure that individuals entering the country do not pose a risk to public safety or national security. If you’re planning to move abroad for work that involves interacting with vulnerable populations or accessing sensitive information, a police certificate is usually mandatory.

Tax Identification Number

Some countries require individuals to obtain a tax identification number to work and pay taxes. Before moving abroad to work, it’s essential to consider the tax implications in both your home country and your new workplace. Some countries may have tax treaties in place with your home country to avoid double taxation, but it’s important to seek advice on this matter from a tax professional or accountant.

Why You Need the Services of a Notary Public

A notary public can help ensure that you have all the necessary documents and information to make a successful transition to working abroad. They simplify the process by certifying and legalising documents, which is often required for overseas employment. They can also provide guidance on any relevant legal procedures.

Contact us today by calling 020 7630 1777 or by emailing and a member of our friendly team will get back to you as soon as possible.